Wednesday, January 19, 2011
Do you smell that?
Natural Gas. Yep, I smelled it. I woke up around 4:30 or so yesterday morning to go to the bathroom. I smelled it instantly and wondered what it was and where it was coming from. I know what natural gas smells like but recently (this is gross btw) we had a weird smell in the basement and it turned out to be a dead mouse in our walls. The smell was VERY similar to a natural gas smell unless you got close (which I didn't) and then you smelled the rotting I guess. So when I smelled the gas I thought maybe there is another dead mouse down there and its next to our heater or something so its coming through the vents. I don't know why I thought that, I was half asleep! I woke up for work and it was still there so I woke David up. He got up and smelled all the vents. He went downstairs, in the garage, in all the rooms. It was definitely coming through our vents. He said he didn't think it was a problem. I was skeptical as I drove off to work thinking, you don't smell gas for no reason. There has got to be a problem somewhere. I called David when I knew he was up and told him he had to call the gas company to come check it out just in case. It wouldn't cost us anything and its better to be safe then sorry. He said when he woke up he hadn't really smelled it anymore so he thought it was fine. I felt really unsettled about it so I asked him to call just to make me happy. A couple hours later I got a call from the good old hubs saying he was leaving work because the gas company came to our house and the gas reading was off the charts high so we definitely had a leak somewhere that needed to be taken care of right away. They shut off our gas (that includes our heat...did they know its winter??) And started digging up the line outside to trace where it was coming from. David hung out at the house in the freezing cold with all our windows open to get the smell out until I was on my way home from work. When I got home the gas guys said they found it and fixed it and he just needed to re-light our furnace and water heater and we were good to go! Whew, I'm glad it was that easy of a fix. I'm glad I made David call, the gas man said he smelled it the second they got out of their truck in the visitor parking at our complex. I'm glad our house didn't blow up when the garage was opened several times for all of us to get out in the morning. (They wouldn't let David open it when he came home because they didn't want any electric anything around the gas just in case it lit it on fire and blew up our bloody house. No big deal) And I'm so glad our house is still standing and not reeking of gas anymore. Blessed. The end.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I think your spidey sense is tingling. Ha, ha. But seriously, your intuition is outstanding. I am also glad that you acted on your promptings and made David call those people! Phew! Close call.
Scary! I'm glad it all worked out.
Post a Comment