David's mom and step dad have an amazing cabin. We love going down there. In the 5 years I have known this family I have spent a lot of time at that cabin. We have snowshoed up there in the winter and have spent several family reunions there in the summers. We stayed up there Memorial Day weekend and the weekend after for Darrell's funeral. This cabin has been in Ted's family for years. Well on Saturday we got some terrible news. It burned down. There was a gas leak. Luckily no one was there. It was a big enough fire that the neighbors saw the flames and called David's little sister Allie to let her know after they called the fire dept. Everything was ruined except the dutch ovens. All of Ted's animal mounts, the pictures, Ted's 22 rifle, Jeremiah's bike. The trees around are scorched and will have to come down. This includes the tree that the trolley you could ride down was on. Some of my favorite memories of the cabin are
1. The very first time I went to the cabin I saw a little boy running with the antlers of a deer his dad had just killed. I was screaming "Oh little boy! Little boy what are you doing?"
2.
Bon Fires at the fire pit

3. Dance parties! We actually danced around that living room a lot. Including the last time we were there. Allie did the cupid shuffle with me :]

4. Making David check for bugs
every night in our bed before I'd climb in.
5. Finding a dead mouse in a box of triscuts.
6. Waking up to Ted restarting the fire in the middle of night.
7. Lots and lots of laugh at Liz moments because I'm not an "outdoorsy girl"
8. Eating licorice and sitting around just talking about anything and everything
9. Eating Ted's amazing carmel popcorn at night.
10. Playing lots of games including just plain old fighting with each other

11. Brushing my teeth with a bottle of water.
12. Getting away from the hustle and the bustle. And having the temp be atleast 10 degrees cooler.
13. Sitting on camp chairs with the whole family laughing and enjoying each other without distractions.
Here's a cute pic of Wendy and Terry by the front door.

Here is what it looks like now...



The fire was so hot it melted the glass from the windows after they imploded

The most important thing here is that no one was hurt. I've had several life lessons lately teaching me I cannot take things for granted. This is just another lesson I've learned. Appreciate what you have but remember that material things are replaceable. Enjoy the people you're with and the memories you make more.
2 comments:
NOOO!!! Oh how sad!! I had great memories there too! But I am glad that no one got hurt, thank goodness!!
Oh this just kills me. I am so sad.
Post a Comment