Monday, July 19, 2010

My Little Black Heart

You know those homeless people that sit on freeway exits and outside stores? Everytime I see them I think to myself "I'm not giving you money to buy boos, drugs, or go home to your 12 bedroom mansion." It sounds totally heartless I know but I just don't trust them. I get gut feelings about people almost instantly when I meet them. One time I was with my mom and we saw a man outside Wingers that we both just felt like needed our help. We gave him some money but other then that I try my best to avoid eye contact. Well the other night I was at Chick-Fil-A buying David and I a romantic anniversary dinner and I saw a man like that across the street at a Wal-Mart. The drive through line was long so I had some time to watch him. He had some kind of muscle disease like cerebral palsy or something. I saw a car pull over on their way out of the parking lot, the man struggled over to the car and took the money the person was handing out the window. He then waved to the kids that were in the back seat. He struggled back and forth as many people stopped. Each person that stopped had kids or a carseat in the back of their car. I was so touched by the people that stopped. I felt like he really did need help and these people, that could have found something else to do with that extra money I'm sure of it, were stopping to help that adorable man. My little black heart melted. David says he's seen him there before and I've decided whenever I go to that Wal-Mart and he's there I'm going to forget about the diet dr pepper I could get later and I'm going to help him. There are good people in this world and I was uplifted by them that day. Now I'll do my part to be an example to others.

1 comment:

Kateka said...

I agree. It's always good to get these nice little reminders that there ARE good people out there. Thanks for sharing this.