Wednesday, September 14, 2011
The ER
Going back to work sucks, can I just say. Not only does going back to work suck but going to a new location that happens to be the ER sucks even more. I trained the past couple days but you never really know until you start working by yourself. If I had the option to quit today I would. Wouldn't everyone their first day though? The ER is stressful. I don't think I handle pressure well...well, I guess in my other areas I was comfortable with rushing or stressful add ons and what not but I was more comfortable with those jobs. When someone runs in saying their daughter isn't breathing...I panic. (that happened an hour ago and I'm still shaking.) Never a dull moment though and I don't think I'll even have a lot of down time to think about how stressed I might be. I'm shocked I have time to write this right now. During any down time I have I should start writing some 'tales from the ER' blogs. Already tonight I've seen a man who had diarrhea coming out of his stomach directly, a man who was like cartoon intoxicated (like Peter from family guy), and a man who was having a seizure from alcohol withdrawals. I can't imagine what's to come if this is only my first day. Wish me luck (and good health because I don't want to take any of this home with me please).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Liz, this is a lot to handle but lets face it, this is you we're talking about, you CAN handle this! Will it be hard, yes, I'm sure. Will it be worth it? I think so. I know you can do this because you're pretty much hard core. Love your guts!
AH! I don't want you taking home diarhhea from your stomach either! Liz, I seriously read this post with my mouth dropped open. I can not tale for the TALES OF THE ER and am sooo bummed I missed your phone call last night. I was TOTALLY awake. Not even close to going to bed, but my phone was upstairs and I was not so I didn't see your missed call. I am excited to talk with you tonight though. I am feeling you though - being the new girl in my dept at work, I feel all nervous and stuff, but my angst comes in the form of entering an order wrong - not nearly as life shattering as what you're running into.
It does suck. Sooooo much. I miss my little guy all day. I may have cried last Monday when I came in. And again today. And maybe a couple other times last week. If it were even remotely possible, I'd at LEAST go part time. It is horrible. I can't imagine the stress of a new job on top of everything else. And, having worked in the ER before, it is a different world, and sometimes hard to stomach. You'll build up a little bit of a wall the longer you're there. Not EVERYTHING will be so shocking, but you'll still see some people that hit close to home and make you choke up a little. No, I'm not in a new position, but I sort of feel like I've forgotten some parts of my job. I'll stare at my screen and think "How do I do this? I used to know. Crap."
Good luck darling. We can do this! Love your guts.
I think tale was supposed to say wait?? I don't know WHAT I was trying to say...
Post a Comment