Monday, April 18, 2011

SL Marathon

We had a fun outing on Saturday with David's family. They came up so that David's step dad Ted could run the Salt Lake Marathon. I was so ridiculously impressed with him I started to wonder why I've never trained or signed up for a half marathon or something. What an accomplishment. Then I saw him after and I realized that whatever was in the air was tainting my thoughts and running half marathons or marathons was not for me. :]
Great moments for the day included:
1. Learning who the heck Flat Stanley is. (Just in case you don't know, he's a little boy who was crushed by a chalkboard so now you take him with you and take pictures of him "traveling" so you can make a scrapbook and teach kids about all the cool places he went.) I know right.
2. Watching a dad and 2 kids cross the finish line of the half marathon. He was cheering and yelling for his kids (who were maybe 9 and 11...?) who had ran the whole race. I totally cried. No joke. It was adorable.
3. Watching a lady who had already finished the half marathon cheer on every single person that was nearing the finish line. My eyes totally welled up as I watched her too. She yelled encouraging and supportive things to everyone and I love her guts whoever she is.
4. Watching every marathoner get applause as they ran towards the finish line. Everyone was so proud of each others huge achievements.
5. Standing on a bench with Kelly playing eye spy Ted.
6. Watching Ted come around the corner towards the finish line. I was jumping and cheering and screaming with everyone else.
7. Kelly handing Ted Flat Stanley to finish the race with him and having the lady and her kids next to us say, "Is that flat Stanley?? He's going to get a good time!" (How was I the only one who didn't know of this little flat man and his story?)
8. Seeing Master Chief (if you don't know who he is you don't have a nerdy husband like I do! He's the Halo video game guy) just walking on the sidewalk. David said if the Master Chief guy had been on the same side of the sidewalk as us David would have asked for a picture with him. I said I would have ran in embarrassment of my husband taking a picture with the 40 year old man who has enough money to buy an entire Halo mascot outfit. This isn't Disneyland David, we don't take pictures with people in costumes..
9. Walking around with a marathoner after Ted finished. I kept thinking "Yeah, we're with him..the marathoner. He's kind of a big deal."
10. And of course, the 3 hour nap that David and I took after getting home from this marathon. I mean we had worked hard you know. Riding Trax to get there was another great part. No traffic :] Thats Flat Stanley....and Allie Gwen and KellyTed coming in! Ted and Flat Stanley heading towards the finish line! Way to go you two.

4 comments:

Kateka said...

Seriously, Ted's time is AMAZING. When I was 20 and ran one it took me almost 6 hours!!! And I don't know what the heck Flat Stanley is. Is that a real story?? If so, it's really sad!

lynandsky said...

K - you crack me up and I am totally glad that I've finally checked out this blog!

Sheryl said...

Lizzie!! We used to read "Flat Stanley!" I'll have to look through our books and see if it is still there. (BTW--it was never a personal favorite...)

Anonymous said...

Well...while this post was inspiring and Ted did a very great thing, I will have you know that that ridiculous running event cost me a trip to Target for toilet paper. We were in dire need and theirs was on sale and I had a coupon. So I ended up attempting to take a different root and stopped in for a Philly at Moochie's and sat by Liberty Park waiting for these athletes to run a little faster so I could go get my tp. Sheesh! I gave up and went home because it was taking to long. Coupon----wasted. Thanks a lot flat Stanley.
:)