Monday, April 25, 2011
Bigger (not really) and Better
So David apparently has been thinking for a while about selling his truck. We hadn't talked about it a ton and I loved the truck so I never really considered it seriously. We bought the truck back in Dec 2008 for a great deal and have loved it and gotten good use out of it since. With gas prices rising however its become somewhat of a stress. David and I started taking turns about guessing how much it was going to cost to fill up his truck, lets just say it was never pretty and according to the "gas specialists" it was only going to get worse it the upcoming months. Well with this child coming before too long we're trying to find ways to save our little pennies. One Monday afternoon I get a call from David talking about all the research he had done that day on cars with diesel engines and how much it would save us monthly to trade in the truck and get a little TDI Jetta. I said we could talk about it and look over the numbers later. That afternoon he decided to just "drop in" on a dealership and look at some to see what he thought. 3 hours later I got a call about how he was driving the car to our house so I could see it. I was so frustrated that we were in this position already without even talking it over that he was test driving one to our house without the dealer so we could talk about it. Who makes decisions like this in one day. So I was in no mood and then for the cherry on top of it all, he pulled up in a TDI Golf. Right off the bat I was like, NO! I'm not getting rid of this huge truck that we utilize just to replace it with a Golf that we could fit in the bed of your truck. What a toy of a car. No way. I was very against it that first day. Then I woke up the next morning and maybe being blinded by the money savings I started to warm up to the Golf slightly. I told David we'd talk about it that night. So being my extremely thorough husband he got all his graphs and charts together (no joke) and brought them home. We looked over all the numbers and statistics and decided together that this was the best switch for our family. It has great safety ratings, it really is bigger then it looks, and the amount we'll save in gas is worth it alone. So we decided we'd be selling the truck ourselves and then buying the car versus trading it in since the number the dealer gave David was like $8000 less then the truck was worth. The next day David got a call from the dealer that was trying to jip us and having nothing to lose David gave him a little piece of his mind. I think the dealer learned real quick, David is not the guy you want to mess with in a sitch like this. Of course he apologized a bajillion times and asked David to come back in and meet with him again. So that afternoon David went back in and after swindling his little heart away left with a brand new teeny weeny white Golf. I really don't like making decisions like this as fast as we made this one but when its right why wait. I will miss the truck and I didn't get a lot of time to say goodbye but we handed over a F150 with an empty gas tank and got in return a brand new Golf with a full gas tank and a 49 mpg rating. I still feel kinda silly riding around in it but its got a quick turbo in it so if anyone wants to look at how stupid we look in this little toy car we can just speed away real quick. :] Sometimes in life you have to do things for the better of the situation. I wanted to save lots of money and be stable that way with all the cards we already had on the table but it wasn't going to work like that so we changed a couple cards. Its for the better. Lets all take a moment and say goodbye to this beauty...
And lets give a quick shout out and hello to this beauty...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hello new little golf! Treat this family well, ya hear?
I laughed so hard reading this. I can totally picture David doing a little sales pitch to you. Well good luck on the new car! Hope it works out for ya!
Post a Comment