Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Vicki Cottrell

Today I'm feeling a little jipped. I feel jipped of time I could have spent with this lady. I miss her very much. Her name was Vicki Cottrell. She was my young womens leader for a couple years before she passed away. My friend Catherine and I used to go to her house to have "date nights". We'd make dinner. Homemade Mac and Cheese. Vicki was only allowed to grade cheese. Catherine and I did the rest. (She didn't mind that job at all because she got the opportunity to eat a lot of her graded cheese) We watched Elf one night and Vicki fell asleep during the movie. It made me love her even more. She let me control the radio in her car. The music I listened to was questionable but she never got mad at me. Everyone she met loved her. I've been having a hard time lately in life. I find myself entertaining old addictions in my head and missing the lifestyle I had when I was a teenager. I know I could go to her house and she would listen without judgement, find a positive in the situation, tell me a story in her life that related to my situation, give me advice, and tell me how amazing she thought I was. How strong I was. How much she loved me. I wish more then anything I could hear those things from her. She was special. She told me about how much she loved love and then passed away right before I met the love of my life. She LOVED working in her garden. I miss laying in her hammock while she worked in the garden. I miss her flower green slippers. I miss seeing her lay at the bottom of a big hill at the park she had just rolled down when she couldn't get back up because she was too nauseous. I miss her stories about her granddaughter that she loved more then anything. I miss her love of life and people. I miss her love for the mentally ill and the difference she made with her foundation NAMI. Its been 5 years since she passed away and there is a hole in my heart. I only hope I can remember everything I learned from her and maybe touch lives a fraction as much as she touched mine.

2 comments:

Laura Edwards said...

She sounds like a wonderful friend and leader! I am sorry she is not here right now. It's nice what we know about the gospel to comfort us with the losses. This is the perfect example of what we talked about today from the talk, "He is Risen." That's probably why you chose to talk about it, huh? You are so smart!

Thanks for the fun evening. And for your love and support!

Kateka said...

What a sweet little tribute, Liz! You talked so well of her that I feel like I knew her and now I miss her too! Vicki, I want to come to your house with Liz in tow and you can tell us what to do with life!