Thursday May 6, 2010
It was a great day to begin with because I got to work with Shelli, I didn't have anything to do after work, and I was just going to come home and relax. Then a little man in a uniform ruined my day. As many of you may know I have a lead foot. I like going fast. I like it when I'm in front of all the other cars. I normally don't speed too badly. 5 over is my usual. This day I was nearly home and I was stopped at a stop light. I had a motorcycle in front of me at the light. I don't love following right behind motorcycles because David has one and I know how nervous I get when cars get too close to him. This motorcycle man however shot off the line like a bat out of hell and I had no chance of even keeping up. Sometimes when I'm behind crazy people like this man I allow myself to go a little faster the my usual 5 over because I figure if someone is going to get caught it will be the guy in front of me. I was still speeding up when I saw a cop car's big fat nose sticking out of a street coming up. I let off the gas but again never thought I'd be pulled over considering the crazy man on the bike in front of me. I don't know if it's harder to get a radar reading on bikes or something or if the cop just thought I was prettier but I got pulled over. The road I was on is just 2 lanes with no shoulder. I started to just stop right when he got behind me but decided that was kinda dangerous/obnoxious for the other cars so I hit my gas again with my turn signal on so the officer knew I wasn't trying to flee or something. (That would totally happen to me, can you imagine) I pulled into a gas station like half a block away. He pulled in and blocked me. I had my licence out hoping with all my little heart he'd let me off with a warning. He came to my window and told me he pulled me over for doing 48 in a 35. If I was going that much over I can't even guess how fast that crazy motorcycle man was going. Come on. He took my licence and went back to his truck. I'm like "Ok Liz, oh well. You were speeding. You haven't had a ticket in like 2 years. You can go to traffic school. Its not that big of a deal. Stop bloody shaking. Life will go on." He comes back and says "Elizabeth" (yes that's my real name for those that couldn't guess. David's cousin Austin told me that it didn't make any sense, I was totally a Liz and nothing else so I just wanted to make sure we're on the same page. Elizabeth is the name on my license.) "Your license is pulling up as denied. Do you know why?" WHAT! I should totally be on a episode of cops. You're kidding right. I have diabetes. I have to get a form filled out at my drs office every year that says I'm in good enough control that I can operate a car. I never changed my address when we moved and they don't forward these forms. I was supposed to have it in in Feb so I've just been driving illegally since then, no big deal. I responded "Oh my gosh, I'm shocked! I have diabetes but I haven't gotten the form in the mail. Can you tell when it expired?" He told me he couldn't and that the court would work with me if I just took in the form signed by my dr. He only wrote the ticket for 5 over so I actually thanked this cop as he left my window. He told me to have a good day and drive safely.
I went into court today. I was in a room with several other law breakers so we bonded. The guy I sat in front of asked me why I was there. I told him for speeding. He told me I really needed to slow down, and then told me his ticket was for 48 in a 30. I instantly knew he was crazy. He asked me where I got my ticket and who the officer was. Apparently it was the same officer that pulled him over and he told me that his was right after mine so I'm the girl that pissed the officer off enough to write him a ticket. He then laughed hysterically. He asked me where I worked. I told him. He then saw my left hand. He goes "You're married. Oh." We ended our friendship right then and there. I'm not sad about it.
We had to meet with some prosecutor lady name Ana. I was nervous because they don't typically let you go to traffic school if you have more then one offence on your ticket. Right when I sat down she told me she understood the medical forms because she has asthma and never thinks about the form until she gets it in the mail either. Oh my gosh, what a relief! Besties. She dismissed that charge when I showed her the I can drive legally form I got signed. $150 dollars later I'm signed up for traffic school. I can't get another ticket for the next 6 months or I have to go in front of a judge. At the end of that 6 months I have to write a letter to the judge with my driving record and ask him to dismiss my charges. If I don't write my love note to the judge I have to go in and meet with him and then they put the points for your ticket on your licence. What a freaking ordeal. Trust me I will be driving the speed limit. This is not worth it.
Monday, May 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Ah Liz! I'm glad to hear that it all worked out (well, minus the $150).
Bah. I love/hate the law. Like I am glad they are there to get ACTUAL bad guys, but we aren't bad guys and don't deserve speeding tickets!! Are you doing traffic school online? If so, let's do it together.
Post a Comment