So Kateka and I decided that we were going to make a pie. Aren't we the cutest little Susie Homemakers ever? Yeah I know. So we went to the Farmers Market and got apples to make this pie. That night I felt totally unprepared because I had taken a nap instead of researching how you actually make one so I went into this kinda rushed when I woke up to our doorbell and Kateka and Stu all ready to make some serious chimichangas and apple pie. Kateka worked on the chimichangas while I got everything on the list for the pie together. Once I had it all out I just started combining things right and left like I was the greatest cook in the world. A pinch of nutmeg and a dash of cinnamon and I was well on my way to having the best apple pie ever. After I combined everything in the bowl I started reading the instructions. Maybe should have done that first. I don't know. This is when I realized I had made a little whoopsie. I had thought to myself that adding a egg yoke in with the apples was kinda funky but who am I to question "the best apple pie in the world" recipe. So I separated that egg like an expert. With further investigation I learned that it was indeed weird to add the egg to the apples since it was meant to be beaten with the water and brushed over the crust. What a joke. I yell out to Kateka, "I'm an IDIOT! Its over, its ruined, its done!" Then I had a brief feeling of hope when I thought that maybe we could get the yoke out. Well then Kateka popped that bubble of hope but popping the egg yoke and we, in slow motion, watched it seep down with all the other ingredients never to be seen again. I fell to the ground and yelled "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO". So we decide that who knows it still could be delicious so we'll just go for it. At that point I made the decision to not make homemade crust because I had already had enough let downs so I pulled out the pie crusts we had gotten as a back up. They both came in pie tins so you had to get one out and let it thaw its self flat to be the top. Well I'm sorry but who thought that was a good idea? Stupid. It refused to come out so I had to, as delicately as I could, rip it out and try to piece it back together. It didn't work. At this point I had already ruined my incredible homemade apple pie so I actually didn't even care about the stupid crust. Once I poured my apple egg mix into the bottom crust I put my strips of crust on top of the pie in hopes of being able to, you know like smush it back together. Well this is what it looked like...
This is how much I cared....
This is it after it was baked....
Drowned in a bunch of vanilla ice cream it was ok but I'm not exaggerating when I say there was a hint of egg. Next time I'm going to have it down! Homemade apple pie, hold the egg.
But to show you how I was the only failure of the night, here is Kateka's profesh Mexican Restaurant dish.
Saturday, October 29, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Liz, this may be one of my favorite posts ever. Seriously, I was laughing so hard reading this, I was like not-breathing-laughing, and tears were coming out of my eyes (which, tears+runny nose = gross! stop making my eyes and nose cry!). Your egg pie was good! I am going to make it for thanksgiving, ripped apart crust and all.
And don't forget, my rice was crunchy.
Post a Comment