Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Whats in a Name?

As you've read in the past, David and I had an epic battle...ok more like a disagreement on what to name babygirl. We had always planned Alexis for our first girl but then we found out it was a girl and David changed his little mind. He wanted Chloe. I like the name Chloe and had thrown it out in passing like years ago but really didn't like the sound of it for this child. (Does that mothers intuition start when they're in the womb? I just knew she wasn't a Chloe) So then he stuck with Kaylee which was another one I threw out years ago but just didn't see attached to the babygirl inside my belly. So we went back and forth about Alexis or Kaylee. Everybody weighed in, we would try calling her the different names, but babygirl fit her more then either one of those names I concluded. Babygirl. Thats a good name for the rest of her life right? We kept saying we'd decide when we saw her...but I kept thinking, what if I see her and I think she looks like one name and David still thinks the other. That would so be something that would happen to us! Just when I thought she'd never have a name we got something very important in the mail. My US Weekly magazine. On our drive to Vegas I was flipping through my weekly addiction when I saw a little article that stuck out to me for some reason. Vince Vaughn and his wife were sitting on a park bench with their newborn daughter. Who cares right? Well turns out I cared. His wife's name is Kyla. Hadn't ever heard that name before and I really liked it. I turned to David and said, "What about Kyla?" His exact response back to me was "NO." Then Kateka said, "Thats actually kinda pretty, I like it." Then David came back with, "Wait what was it?" Haha shows you how much we had been bickering about what to name her. We hadn't ever found anything both of us agreed on so anytime the other person brought a name up we just automatically said no first. Once he heard it again he said he kinda liked it. We threw around middle names that would go well with it. David has always wanted a family name as the middle name so I said "what about Kyla Gwen?" Gwen is his moms and his sisters middle name. You wouldn't think Kyla, being the more "modern" name, would sound good with such a classic name like Gwen...but guess what, it does. We went to Zions that day and when we were sitting on the tram we just decided that it sounded so right. It was the first name I could actually see attached to her. We decided not to share because Alexis and Kaylee opinions were out of control and I didn't want to hear it. We still tentatively said we'd look at her first but we were both pretty set on it. One Saturday we decided to do a cute arts and crafts project. Once its on wood blocks there is no turning back :]

Luckily she looks like a Kyla. That was one of the first things that David said to me in the OR and for once we agreed! So judge me, we got our childs name from my gossip mag.

2 comments:

The Shurtleffs said...

I guess I'll just comment on several of your posts... That is super cute. I wanted to do the whole "wood block name thing," you know, just to make it official. Birth certificates and SSN cards aren't legit enough for me. ;) However, your project turned out DARLING and mine would probably turn out sad. Help?

Kateka said...

I am just glad you didn't go with APPLE or ZUMA or something like from those magazines. Hahaha. Kyla is a beautiful name, and it fits with your beautiful little daughter perfectly.

Random thought, she's only a month old, and when one's life is only one month, she must think back to Father's Day (because I am sure she is so often reminiscing) as being FOREVER AGO. Hahaha. I am on one. That's all I have to say about that!

PS. My word verfication for this comment is "kingster", now THAT would have been a beautiful name right? Eh. Maybe for Hollywood.