Sunday, February 20, 2011

Reservation Rewards

So I'm having trouble sleeping next to my snoring husband so I thought I'd share a little story about Reservation Rewards. Never heard of them? Me either, until I realized they've been charging my credit card for almost 3 years. Ok ok here's the story...

I bought a skirt online back in March of 2008. I can't even remember what the name of the store I bought it from was. I was looking for a certain type of skirt and couldn't find one so this website was a recommendation from a lady I worked with. I vaguely VAGUELY remember something when I was checking out about Reservation Rewards. I was at work and didn't go through and read it all (my first mistake) but I didn't really care about RR, I just wanted my new white skirt I'd just bought. So I received my skirt and I started receiving emails from RR. They were just promotion looking things, I ignored and deleted all of them. (my second mistake) David and I check our credit card statement online every month to make sure there are no funny charges, no duplicate anything, nothing we didn't buy on there. Never noticed anything out of the ordinary but we normally look for any high charges, assuming that if someone did steal our credit card number or something they'd go for the whole enchilada. (our third mistake) Finally in Jan David asked me what I had bought online from someplace for 10$. I said nothing! I haven't bought anything online for a long time. We looked it up together and saw that it was a company called Reservation Rewards. I recognized the name from all those annoying emails I had received. We went to their website and found out what they're about. Its a company that you pay 10$ to MONTHLY and they give you great coupons and deals to places all over. You earn points or something with them and you can redeem your points for the coups. We quickly went back to our credit card statements and realized that they have been charging us 10$ every month since March 08. WHAT! How could I be so stupid. I never personally gave them my credit card info, never signed up intentionally, but apparently when I bought the skirt online I had simultaneously signed up for RR. We discovered this on a Friday night and stewed about it all weekend because we couldn't contact the company until Monday. David called them Monday and pretty much lit them on fire. They had very outdated info for us, we had never set up our account on their website until Friday, we had never redeemed any points, AND (the most important one) they had been charging an expired credit card since Dec 09. They automatically refunded 4 months of our money and then sent me an email with a form to send in to get more money back. As a side note, how many calls do they get like that for their policy to be an automatic 4 month refund? My goodness. So I printed out this form hoping for a spot to list all the ways they had wronged me but it gives you options you choose from on why you deserve your money back. One of their options, and obviously the one we picked was, I didn't know I signed up for Reservation Rewards. So I sent this form in and waited to hear back. I thought maybe they would just refund the amount they had charged since Dec 09 when the card had expired but I wondered how much of a hard time they would give us. David was full on ready to fight but then I got an email. It stated they would be refunding us for every month since March 08. I couldn't believe it. Obviously this company is sketch because somehow (and I'm sure it was my fault too) I got signed up for this without knowing it and they must get these requests a lot since on their refund form one of the four options is I didn't sign up for this but I am extremely impressed and grateful to be getting a full refund. I know this story makes me look like a total idiot but just like I said in my blog the other day, I'm learning constantly lately. Lots of good life lessons. I can say for sure, this will never happen to me again!

3 comments:

Kateka said...

I can't believe these people!! So ridiculous. Like what idiot is like, "I've got a great idea! Let's start PRACTICALLY stealing money from people!" and not feel guilty about that??? Sheesh. I bet that is nice to get this little chunk of money back though!!

Unknown said...

I'm really glad that you are getting all of your money back. Good story.

Laura Edwards said...

I'm glad they're refunding your money! I hate sketchy businesses!!