Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Speak Up Sonny!

I just wanted to tell you about my random hearing issues. Like 3 years ago I was cleaning out my ear with a Qtip and I think I went a little overboard in my right ear. I kind of love the feeling of scratching your ear with a Qtip and I must have gone a little too far or something because all the sudden it was plugged. I thought I'd be able to unplug it right away but no such luck. It stayed plugged for a day or so and then unplugged itself but for 3 years everytime I laid on my right side it would plug again. I kind of got a system down where I knew how to unplug it after I woke up so one night it plugged while I was laying on our couch so I did my usual to get it to unplug. It wasn't having it. It was plugged all night and I was going crazy. That was a Saturday. It was plugged all Sunday and I thought I was going to lose my mind. I knew I needed to stop trying to unplug it because I was just irritating it more but I couldn't stop bugging it. So I stopped touching it Sunday afternoon. It was plugged until Thursday night. Can you talk about torture? I'm pretty sure we all take our hearing for granted. At work I had to keep asking patients "I'm sorry what?" I got several dirty looks probably because I would turn my head to the right so I could hear with my left ear. Who knows what they thought I was doing. I'm sure I looked like an idiot. Thursday night I had just showered and was about to go to bed. I had had a towel around my hair so it had been over my ear also. When I shook my hair out I stuck my finger in my ear for just a second and kind of snapped it upward to get the water out and whatever and my ear unplugged. I held my breath thinking it was just going to replug itself and I wanted to enjoy the 10 seconds I had. When it didn't replug I yelled "DAVID!" He was sitting right outside our bathroom at the computer so there was no need to yell but I was so excited I couldn't stand it. When I heard my own voice I scared myself with how loud I was. All the sudden I was so thrown off. Sound was loud and kind of echoing. I felt like I had just gotten hearing for the first time. The sound of my toothbrush and the water in the sink was blowing my mind. I wondered if in 5 days I had just really become accustomed to only being able to hear out one ear or what but I think I've figured it out. My ear doesn't plug anymore when I lay on my right side. I have no idea what I did but I guess for 3 years my ear was always kind of plugged. When it unplugged that glorious Thursday night it like completely unplugged. It took a couple days for me to get used to hearing with 2 ears, seriously! haha It also made me wonder how many people I had been screaming at because I realized how freaking loud I am. Sorry if I screamed at you in the last 3 years without knowing it, I didn't know what I was doing :]

3 comments:

Kateka said...

I am such a bad reader, I at first thought you wrote that you were cleaning out your CAR with a q-tip and I was like, 'why would that plug her ear?' Ha, I am so dumb.

PS. Glad you have like magic hangs and you fixed your ear problems. I thought it was hilarious that you surprised yourself with the volume of your voice! I can totally visualize you yelling and then being shocked. And for the record, I've never thought your voice was overly loud.

jkzank said...

Liz, you can scream at me any day.

Shelli said...

This story was so entirely anti-climactic for me.....I was totally waiting for you to tell some gruesome story about how "All of a sudden a big huge roach that had inhabited your ear with it's nest and all of it's little roachy babies crawled out, said "Peace Out, we're tired of you" SOO glad that was not the case, and you just had plugged up grandma ears. ;) Now I can't whisper about you behind your back, bummer! Haha, just kidding!! Love your face!